Maybelline’s The Nudes palette is a 12-pan eye shadow palette chock full of beautiful neutrals. It’s thoughtfully configured into duos, trios, and quads, and even has suggestions on the back of the palette for how you might use the shade in an eye look.
- Nice array of colors and finishes.
- Great value – 12 shades for $10-$15 depending where you buy.
- Tons of different ways to use each shade.
- Included suggestions on how to use the colors.
- Simple, lightweight packaging that is easy to open/close and store.
- There’s some inconsistencies between the shades – not all the shades are really pigmented.
- Texture-wise, they’re not the worst shadows I’ve ever used, but I had some difficulty blending, and they were not quite as smooth as I would like.
- Some of the more shimmery shades have a LOT of fallout. Do your eyes first, then foundation!
I tried Maybelline’s The Nudes palette with a few different eye primers, and by itself. I got the best results when I wore it with NARS Smudge-Proof Eyeshadow Base or Urban Decay Primer Potion. I would suggest using a primer that gives a smooth canvas for easier blending rather than a sticky base like a MAC Paint Pot or NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil. Wear time for me usually isn’t an issue since I have dry skin, but without any primer at all I did notice some slight fading at the end of the day. I was still impressed because ‘end of the day’ means I’ve had my shadows on for a good 12 hours.
The price of this palette varies depending on where you get it. I’ve heard as low as $9.99 at places like Ulta and Target but I’ve also heard closer to $14.99 at CVS. I would suggest waiting til one of those 40% off sales or using coupons to get this even cheaper if you’re interested. Ulta currently has it for $9.99 and eligible for their BOGO 1/2 off sale.
Since there are so many great neutral palettes out there (both high and low end), I can’t say this one is a must-have. It’s certainly a nice addition to my collection though since I’m a neutral nut.